The merge tool that understands your code

Work amazing in Visual Studio 2012

I really want this merge tool to work inside of Visual Studio 2012. I live in Visual Studio all day long...and if merging can become better via calls to the TFS Build process for gated check-ins, I'd use this tool in a heart beat and sign it's high praises to every developer i meet.

218 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian CeicysIan Ceicys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy HardinAndy Hardin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the UI needs to match Visual Studio's, but it'd just be nice to have it open as a document in VS. I'm currently using Semantic Merge with VS, and it is working rather nicely, but it does take you out of the environment.

Devart Code Compare is a comparison/merge tool I've been using that opens docs inside VS.

• psantoslpsantosl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ian, I guess what you need is to solve merge conflicts during gated checkins, correct? Can't you simply invoke semanticmergetool during the gated checkin process?

• James ChaldecottJames Chaldecott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't speak for the OP, but have you seen how the built-in TFS conflict resolution process works?

VS2012 puts all the windows in the main document editing area. It starts with a list of conflicts that need resolving, each of which you can choose to open in your configured merge tool. I use Beyond Compare at the moment (which obviously opens externally), but the built-in diff tool opens in another tab in the editor area. The accept/reject merge decision comes up as a modal dialog when you close the merge editor window/tab.

• psantoslpsantosl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really interesting.

What do you expect?

I mean, we will be publishing soon how to use it from TFS, so I guess you'll be able to use it inside your environment flawlessly.

We also consider making the entire tool a visual studio plugin, but since the merge tends to be "a modal dialog", I'm not sure it will really fit.

Comments and suggestions will be more than welcome.

Feedback and Knowledge Base