The merge tool that understands your code

Add support of merge xml files

You should now that merging a xml file (or a visual studio resource file) is a pain :(

464 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Philippe MiossecPhilippe Miossec shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom GroffTom Groff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I find that csproj and sqlproj files are the hardest to merge. If this tool could be aware of xml nodes being moved within the project file that would be insanely helpful. I have not been able to find a merge tool that handles this correctly without resulting in duplicated entries in the project.

• Daniel NolanDaniel Nolan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep .csproj, .sqlproj, .vbproj.... they're all a gigantic PITA to merge. This would be a fantastic time and stress saving feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merging resource files is much more pain than merging code with text-based merge tools. Code files are usually relatively short so you can get the diff sooner or later. But merging big resx files as we do every few days and the VS designer reorders them alphabetically, this is simply a nightmare. Buying semantic merge would be a no-brainer for me, if it would support merging resx (or xml files in general).

Feedback and Knowledge Base