I suggest you ...

Move changesets to different branch

See http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/650-moving-a-changeset-between-branches-feature-requestquestion/

Oops I wanted these changes on that branch. Why not just let me move them?

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steven CramerSteven Cramer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • psantoslpsantosl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Todd,

You can configure this behavior to "protect branches from checkin except when merging" by adding a before-checkin trigger and checking the PLASTIC_PENDING_MERGE_LINKS variable.

We are looking how to enable this with permissions though.

• Todd AldenTodd Alden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a different angle on the problem...
        I see the problem (at least for the user cases we have) as checking in changes I've personally made to files but I'm not actually in a task branch. So, in at least my cases, the problem is allowing checkin, that is not from the result of a merge, on something other than a task branch. So how about having a way (permission maybe?) to limit checkin on certain branches to ONLY be checkins that are completing a pending merge operation. Checking in pending changes just because I've edited files (or added files, etc) would be blocked. That would, for us, eliminate the problem at the root cause.

• Todd AldenTodd Alden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would support this ONLY as a feature that combined the delete of a "tip" changeset" and creating the changeset as a tip on a different branch. This would really just be a shorthand for operations we can already do today and should be under the same ACL rules. E.g. if you do not have delete changeset permisions, you would not be able to do this.

• Andrew RAndrew R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just happened to me again where I create a branch from the child branch instead of the main line. Would like to see the ability to cherrypick the changes into a shelf or different branch. I would then rename the incorrect branch, apply the changes in the correct branch and could delete the incorrect branch. Thanks.

• Steven CramerSteven Cramer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@gihrig Don't feel bad. It happens to me way to often also. if you could drum up some votes maybe we could get this moved up priority list.

• gihriggihrig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, so now it's late July and I have a need to move a late branch to an earlier parent. There's a _lot_ of work done in main over a considerable period that has to be backed out, but the very latest branch must be kept... :-(

• gihriggihrig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe I'm just distracted, but this happens to me several times a month. It would be wonderful to have this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base